A warm cup of Joe in the morning always starts the day in the right direction. But when you have very little time to prepare, that much coveted delicious cup of coffee can be a rare indulgence. Living in a one-bedroom apartment means I have very little space for a number of kitchen appliances, since I already have a rice cooker, an electric stove, and an oven toaster. This is why I chose an under counter coffee maker to meet my morning coffee needs.
Conventional coffee makers has got a new face with its sibling the under counter coffee maker. This is a part of the long studies for innovation chopping the size of coffee makers to fit the modern lifestyle while keeping the advanced functions still intact.
Since these under cabinet coffee maker have been out for quite some time, there are a lot of manufacturers creating their own versions of such. Because of this, choosing that one perfect under counter coffee maker can be confusing. Here is a guide to help you up though.
Benefits of Using Under Counter Coffee Maker
Once you have got the entire guide considered and that you have got the best under cabinet coffee maker that will suit your needs, you are in to garner its benefits. Here are some of the pros of its use.
- Under counter coffee maker is perfect for small kitchens. It has a compact design that can fit perfectly on a small kitchen space that will not actually eat up a lot of space on your counter. It is even easy to store in cabinets as it comes small.
- Most of the new models of under cabinet coffee maker have advanced features that brew coffee even without supervision. This is perfect when you have been multitasking as it can do its tasks by itself.
- It comes in sleek and shiny making it easy to clean. By just wiping off its surface with clothe, it comes to appear good as new already.
- It matches perfectly well with other kitchen appliances. Its modern design gives it a pop that will surely match with modern appliances in your kitchen.
All of these are just bits of the benefits you can get. Know that there are more than these.
Top Under the Counter Coffee Maker in Market!
Choosing between under counter coffee makers can be a very daunting task for most consumers. Each coffee maker usually comes with specific features and benefits.
I never knew this kind of design existed until I walked into an appliance store and there it was, mounted under a flat bottom cabinet seemingly hanging in air. I was instantly in love and decided right then and there to have one for myself.
I personally own a Black and Decker SpaceMaker 8-Cup coffeemaker, with the model number SCM2000BD, and I just love how it looks in my small kitchen. There are other models available and I carefully evaluated each one to make sure I buy the perfect coffeemaker for me.
Here is a review of three of the top under cabinet coffee makers in the market today:
BLACK & DECKER Space Maker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
This model is super sleek-looking. It features a glass carafe resting on a hot plate, and its base is mounted under a cabinet for that hanging look. I personally didn’t choose this model because of the glass carafe, since the SCM2000BD features a thermal stainless steel carafe that stays warm even when I place it on a table for hours.
Nevertheless, this model is ideal for anyone who loves the convenience of a glass carafe as it’s easier to fill it with water and to know how much coffee it still holds.
Let’s take a look at its most important features:
- 24-Hour Quick Touch Programming: It has a modern digital control panel with LED light that makes it super easy to operate and control. Simply click on some buttons and decide if you want brewed coffee now or later. If you want to wake up to the sweet aroma of coffee in the morning, you may simply program it to brew coffee beans a few minutes before you get out of bed each morning.
- Glass Carafe: Sitting on a hot plate, the glass carafe can keep coffee warm for up to two hours before it automatically shuts off.
The main selling points of this coffeemaker include convenience of more countertop space due to its under-the-cabinet design, easy operation, warms coffee for up to 2 hours when placed on the hot plate, and its programmability. However, some people may find it a hassle to completely remove the brew basket and the carafe from the mount to fill it with coffee beans and water. Regular coffeemakers just sit on the counter so you won’t need to take it out, which is the only disadvantage for me.
Black & Decker SDC850 SpaceMaker 8-Cup Coffeemaker
This model is very similar to what I use except for the Save-a-Plug feature that allows you to plug in two SpaceMaker appliances from Black and Decker with just one outlet.
I don’t personally use other appliances from the same company so I figured I don’t really need it. By the way, Black and Decker also has other under the cabinet kitchen appliances such as oven toasters and the like but one space-saving aid is enough for me.
Let’s take a look at its features:
- Fully Programmable: Similar to the 12-cup model, you can program this coffeemaker to brew coffee whenever you want. It also has a convenient control display which is super easy to operate.
- LED Blue Light Indicators: A blue LED light tells you that it is brewing while another LED light lights up for 20 minutes to indicate that the coffee is warm. These features may seem trivial but they’re exactly what sets this apart from other regular coffeemakers where you have to guess if your cup of Joe is warm or not.
- Stainless Steel Carafe: This model features a thermal stainless steel carafe that stays warm for several hours. There’s no need for a hot plate since the carafe itself keeps the coffee warm.
I read reviews where people have placed this coffeemaker inside their RV’s and its strong and stable enough to withstand the rigors of road shock and vibration, which I find really interesting. I always had fear that using this type of coffeemakers are a little risky to use since they might fall off or whatever but reading the reviews gives me the piece of mind I need to stay confident with its stability.
Of course, if you don’t mount it well, there’s always a risk but you’ll know exactly if you installed it properly or not.
– Black & Decker SCM2000BD Programmable Thermal Coffee Maker –
Now on to my very own coffeemaker. This model has every feature found in the SDC850 except for the Save-a-Plug feature. It more or less costs the same but I prefer simpler versions more ideal for me.
- 24 Hour QuickTouch Programming.
- Sneak-a-Cup feature that stops the brewing process temporarily while you get a quick cup.
- Templates for easy installation
- Stainless Steel Carafe for warm coffee for hours without the smell or taste of burnt coffee.
- Keeps coffee delicious and warm for hours, which is the best part
I personally had difficulties with installing this at first since I’m not very handy but once it’s up there you won’t need to worry about anything. I love the fact that it hangs under the cabinet as it not only saves space it looks really cool, too.
If you have a small kitchen space and if you have a flat bottom cabinet right above your countertop, then an under counter coffee maker is the best choice for you. It really look ultra modern and chic and if you love contemporary design, you’ll surely appreciate these Black and Decker SpaceMaker coffeemakers.
Though they do have some disadvantages over regular coffeemakers such as the added task of removing the brew basket and the carafe from the mount to fill it with water and coffee beans, it’s a small task compared to the amount of convenience it can give you. And of course, the under coffee cabinet makers that stay warm give you delicious coffee when you wake up, and at any time of the day.
Top 3 Best Coffee Maker in Market!
- Classic brushed metal design with a 12-Cup carafe with ergonomic handle for comfortable, dripless pouring.
- Brew pause feature lets you enjoy a cup of coffee before brewing has finished.
- Plastic. Product Built to North American Electrical Standards.
- Delay Brew timer sets brew time ahead so you can wake up to fresh-brewed coffee
- Cleaning Cycle tells you when it’s time to clean to keep coffee tasting its best.
- Stainless Steel. Lift & Clean Filter Basket for fast and easy clean up.
- Easy-access design for fast, easy filling. Swing-out brew basket with release button. Wheeled base for fast, easy access to the water reservoir.
- Adjustable brewing with bold, regular and 1-4 cup options.
- Stainless Steel. Programmable clock with 2 hour automatic shutoff.
Things to Know Before Buying Under Cabinet Coffee Maker.
- Cup Capacity:
This is one of the things that you need to consider. Evaluate self on how much coffee is taken in a day to be able to get to the item that will serve your needs best. There are coffee makers that can brew up to 12 cups of coffee in one single cycle that will delight you when you are an avid fan of coffee.
Just like in choosing meticulously your kitchen appliances, the design of the under the counter coffee maker should also be put to mind to fit in with the different modern appliances in the kitchen.
Modern designed coffee makers are sleeker that it comes to fit almost all modern kitchens. There is also a choice of black and silver slates to perfectly match it up with your kitchen counter and under the counter essentials.
- Safety Features:
Among the heavy features that you are looking for in an under cabinet coffee maker, you should also think about the safety features equipping the coffee maker too.
Sometimes, you can be so in a hurry that you may even forget to unplug appliances. The worst case scenario is that you will end up losing your precious belongings because it has been caught on fire. This is how important a simple safety button for a coffee maker is.
Look for the ones with safety features such as the auto shut off feature to serve you with the safety deals. This is not hard to find though as new waves of coffee makers serve this same function.
- Ease of Use:
The convenience of using the product is probably one of the most “not-to-miss-thing” in choosing an under counter coffee maker. In the fast paced society where everyone may seem to be in a hurry to do tasks, there are some simple things at home that have to deal with this speed. An under the counter coffee maker should be the same.
In choosing the coffee maker that best fits your fast paced lifestyle, read on the labels to see what it can do. Choose ones with comprehensive control panels that will surely start its brewing prowess in just a few taps or clicks.
There are certain under counter coffee maker having timers set to brew you cups even when you are still at your bed too. It is then possible to wake up with an aromatic brewed coffee served right when you need a mood booster.
This is the last yet important thing that you should consider. Think about the money that you are willing to spend for a coffee maker in order to work on the range that you can afford to also cut on the choosing time.
The price may not always equate to quality as there are some decent products coming in affordable prices too. Be wary in considering this item on your checklist to save you from overpaying.
How to Clean an Under the Cabinet Coffee Maker
After a few cycles of brewing, there is a need to have the under counter coffee maker cleaned to get rid of granules of beans stuck. To brew a perfectly tasting coffee, there should be no residues left from the previous cycle. With this, you can just pour hot water in the carafe to tame hard sticking coffee residues. Pour out water and let it dry. After which, you can clear up bacteria not seen through naked eye by sprinkling the carafe with baking soda. Rinse thoroughly and let it dry again.
Some modern under counter coffee maker even has the self-clean function that will save you from actually touching the carafe. The appliance does the cleaning by itself. With just a push of a button, the under cabinet coffee maker is cleansed to perfection.
How To Choose An Coffee Machine
Under the counter coffee maker is really great additions to home given the positive attributes it lives up. But before you can actually get hold of these positive deals, there is a need to seek for the best under counter coffee maker in the land guided with the checklist of the things to consider.
The under counter coffee maker is an appliance worthy of your time to scout though. So the next time you will need a buddy to make your life easier in the kitchen, why not grab this decent little appliance?